Discovering Your Usability Issues So Your Customers Don’t Have To
Usability testing involves observing your customers actually using your website or prototype. This allows you to see whether your online experience meets their needs and provides a compelling customer experience. Research participants may be given specific tasks to accomplish or be asked to explore on their own. This hands-on approach is the only way to accurately observe and assess the effectiveness of your product.
Core Elements For Good User Experience
Our Usability Testing service enables you to identify what is working as well as opportunities for improvement. Consider the following:
- Visual Design – Is the site design effective? Does it support user needs and business goals?
- User Interface – This is what most of us think of as “UI”: component-like menus, radio buttons, drop-downs, AJAX, sorting and filtering options, search, category, product detail pages, and so forth. Success of the UI depends on whether these components, and the overall interaction with them, provide an effective and useful experience for your customers.
- Navigation – Can customers get to where they want to go easily? Does the site help them to seamlessly explore and deepen their engagement with your product, brand and services?
- Information Architecture – Is the information organized in a way that makes sense to customers? Are the menus and content organized in a clear way that is consistent with users’ mental models?
- User Needs vs. Site Objectives (aka “Business Model”) – For a site to have long-term success, it must offer customer value while satisfying your business model. Is the site experience sufficiently compelling and engaging? Does it cultivate loyal customers who make repeat visits? Do they spend more time on your site?
We conduct usability tests in our usability labs and in other facilities across the country when necessary. Our client viewing experience offers a clear picture of the participant’s screen and a picture-in-picture view of the actual participant. Clients can observe this live in the observation room, or they can view this same feed in a live stream from their desktop.
We work closely with you and (typically) a recruiting firm to ensure we recruit users that represent your customer segments.
Our final deliverable includes a PowerPoint presentation approximately a week after the study is complete. We present our findings, including video clips, to help your team understand the issues observed. We provide actionable recommendations for fixing the issues, and answer any questions your team has.
Data Always Beats Guesswork
Stop speculating and start getting objective scientific data to help your company obtain a competitive advantage. It sounds obvious, but if your customers aren’t successful when they use your product, your product won’t be successful.